Fountain Square has been the symbolic center of Cincinnati since it was first completed in 1871 and in 1971, the Square was relocated to itâ€™s current position along Fifth and Vine Streets. This â€˜living roomâ€™ of downtown was a gift to the people of Cincinnati from Henry Probasco for whom the Tyler Davidson Fountain is named and sits atop a subterranean parking garage owned by the City. The paving for the square was leaking water into the garage below, electrical work was deteriorating and lighting needed upgrading. While the City was embarking on restoring the fountain, â€œThe Genius of Water,â€ they also wanted to restore and upgrade the plaza.
The plaza needed to be completely re-paved and waterproofed. ADA accessibility was provided at main entry points, areas of the plaza were re-designed with new paving features, landscaping and lighting configurations. Flexible lighting, electric and A/V designs were developed to allow for a variety of uses on the Square. MSA was retained as the lead consultant to restore the plaza project that entailed architectural, landscaping, waterprooï¬ng, electrical, lighting and plumbing design considerations. MSAâ€™s responsibilities included an existing conditions study, a schematic design, construction documents, and construction administration and a complex phasing plan was developed to maintain access to the site and allow for year-round events without construction interference. MSA also consulted in the restoration and artist search of the bronze fountain, â€œThe Genius of Water.â€